Player, Parent & Coach Roles
WHAT DO YOU AS A PLAYER NEED TO DO TO PLAY COLLEGE SOCCER? (What is your role in the process?)
- Be proactive and take responsibility of the process! This is your dream!
- Follow the recruiting timeline to stay ahead of the game.
- Follow through with your communication! This is one thing that tells college coaches (your club coaches and parents too!) how much you want to really play! Stay on top of this!
- Keep the recruiting process to yourself – there is no need to brag about the schools you are talking to or visiting.
- Be aware of the negative effects of Social Media! If you have any hesitation about posting something on social media, DON’T!! College coaches do their research! Once something is posted, you never know who has seen it!
- Maintain your grades – academics & athletics go hand-in-hand!
WHAT DO PARENTS NEED TO DO TO HELP THEIR CHILD PLAY COLLEGE SOCCER?
- Enable your child to take responsibility of the process – do not do it for them!
- Provide oversight and stay in communication with players and club coaches.
- Keep your child realistic about school choices – you know them better than they know themselves!
- Let the kids communicate with college coaches. The coaches want to know the kids really want to play!
WHAT DO YOUR CLUB COACHES DO TO HELP IN THE PROCESS?
- Follow up with players, parents, and college coaches in regards to things pertinent to the recruiting process.
- Give players playing time at showcase events so they are seen by college coaches. The score in games only provides college coaches context for what they are watching! Always compete no matter the score!
- Help ensure Team Profiles are up-to-date and accurate for games and events.
- Be HONEST with players and college coaches – our credibility is on the line!